Hajj: The Annual Pilgrimage
Every year, worldwide Muslims show up in Makkah, Saudi Arabia performs the biggest religious pilgrimage in the last month of the Islamic calendar. It is said that Hajj must be performed once in a lifetime by financially and physically balanced.
What is Hajj Consists of?
It’s an energetic obligatory duty which consists of seven essential rituals which involve faith, devotion, unity, brotherhood to the constant holy feeling in the holiest place of Muslims.
Fifth Pillar of Islam
After Shadah, Salat, Zakat, and Sawm. Hajj, in the glow of the Quran, is declared as the fifth Islamic pillar which is commemorated as the second largest annual gathering for the harmony of Muslim brothers.
History of Hajj
It is associated with the calamity of Prophet Ibrahim’s son history who was close to death due to thirst, takes us back to the 7th century. In 630 CE, Prophet Muhammad led his followers from Madinah to Makkah and gave the lesson for the first official Hajj. Her further freed the Kaaba from pagan idols and reconstructed the building of Allah.
Practices of Hajj According to Sunnah
- The most important practice known is the pilgrim’s money involved in the Hajj package should be comprised of Halal earnings.
- The second practice is wearing the Ihram, babble ‘Labbaik loudly at the end of each Salah.
“Allahumma labbaik. Labbaik la shareeka Lak. Innal hamd wanne’mata lak wal-Mulk. La shareeka lak”
- Keep chanting Talbiyah until the 10th Zul- Hijjah as it’s the most common practice.
- Perform tawaf of Kaaba on arrival
- Try spending the night of Arafah day in Mina and perform all five times Salah on the day Tarwiya.
- When you depart from Mina, visit Al-Muhassab Valley.
- Attend all the sermons of Hajj in Kaaba. The first sermon takes place on the 7th Zul-Hijjah, second on the day of Arafah and third on the second day of stay at Mina.
- Stay at Muzdalifah and combine the Salats of Maghrib and Isha after the departure from Arafat.
- Drink plenty of Zamzam water.
- Stick up with Nafl prayer and Tawaf. Seek forgiveness of your sins and execute good deeds as a major practice goal
Dates of Hajj
It occurs in the last Islamic month called ‘Dhul-Hijjah’ and the pilgrims perform their rites during 8th to 12th days of the lunar month.
- Yaumut Tarwiyah- 8th Zul- Hijah
- August 19th, 2018
- Yaumul Wuquf- 9th Zul- Hijah
- August 20th, 2018
- Yaumun Nahr- 10th Zul Hijah
- August 21st, 2018
- Ayyamut Tashriq- 11th Zul- Hijah
- August 22nd, 2018
- Ayyamut Tashriq- 12th Zul- Hijah
- August 23rd, 2018
This pilgrimage is also marked by the event ‘Eid al-Adha’ which is observed on the 10th day of the lunar month.