Knowledge for Beginners
Beginners – Islam is considered as one of the fastest growing religions of today. Islam is based on the belief of oneness of Allah SWT, the sole creator of the universe and the heavens above.
Islam is not only a religion, it is considered as the complete way of life. The religion of Islam is all about the attributes of peace, harmony, unity, forgiveness, and mercy.
With followers increasing by the minute, it’s important for beginners to get a clear understanding of the true value of Islam. Only then can they attain the utmost benefit and blessings from their Lord, Allah SWT.
What is Islam?
The Arabic term Islam means submission and it is known to be derived from the word peace. As far as a religious context is concerned, Islam refers to the complete submission of one’s will to ALLAH.
Whatever actions, deeds and behavior followers of Islam depict in this temporary world, they will be accountable for in the next life or the Hereafter. That is why choices on how to live one’s life should be made carefully and according to the Islamic way.
A person who believes or follows the Islamic religion is known as a Muslim. All Muslims believe in the oneness of ALLAH and know that Islam is the final religion sent down by HIM so that mankind can attain guidance and piety in this world.
Key figures in Islam
Although the number of figures who have created a name for themselves is immense in Islam’s history, there are two crucial figures that all believers must be familiar with.
- ALLAH SWT- Almighty ALLAH is the Lord, Creator, and Sustainer of the entire universe. There is no God but HIM and to him belongs all praise and to HIM shall we return. All Muslims worship ALLAH solely. HE has no parent, siblings, or offspring. There is no partner associated with HIM.
- Holy Prophet Muhammad PBUH- Muhammad PBUH is the last of the Prophets sent by Allah for the benefit of mankind. Hence he is known as the seal of the Prophets. He was born in Makkah in the year 570 and received his first revelation of prophethood at the age of 40. These revelations continued for 23 years and their combination is the book known as Holy Quran. It is a complete book full of guidance. There is no person in the world that is more respect-worthy or admirable than him.
Islamic Articles of Faith
The Islamic Doctrine can be summarized in 6 articles of faith. Every Muslim should have thorough belief in it.
- Belief in oneness of ALLAH
- Belief in the Angels
- Belief in all Prophets and Muhammad PBUH as the last of the Prophets
- Belief in all holy books and that the Quran is the perfect book of ALLAH
- Belief in the Day of Judgment and the Hereafter
- Belief in the existence of faith
- Belief that every individual will have risen after death
Pillars of Islam
Islam is based on five pillars. The practicing of these 5 pillars is obligatory for every Muslim in order for them to walk on the straight path, most pleasing to ALLAH. These pillars serve as acts of worship.
- Testimony of faith ( Kalmah Shahadah)
- Prayer (Salat)
- Giving (Zakat)
- Fasting (Sawm)
- Pilgrimage (Hajj)
Islam can be considered as a comprehensive way of living. The aspects being mentioned above serve as guidance for beginners in Islam. They form the core of Islamic belief and should be kept in mind at all times.