Things to know about Islam, Islam is the name given to a fast growing global religion. With that being said, there are still many people out there who are unfamiliar with what Islam is really all about. From different practices and teachings to unique celebrations, the religion of Muslims is a beautiful and intriguing religion worth exploring. Let’s take a closer look at 10 things to know about Islam.
10 Things to Know About Islam
What do Islam and Muslim mean?
From 10 things to know about Islam, To start with, it’s important to understand the true definition of religion of Muslims. Islam is the Arabic term meaning self surrender to Allah. Muslim on the other hand means any individual that surrenders oneself to the true will of Allah.
What is the Holy Quran?
The Quran is the central textbook of Islam. In its literal sense, Quran means the recitation. Muslims believe that the Quran is the un-edited scripture revealed by Allah to the Holy Prophet PBUH through the angel Jibrail. The revelations that make up the Quran today were unveiled over a period of 23 years, ending in the year of the Prophet Muhammad’s death. Chapters in the Quran are known as Surahs while verses are known as Ayats. To preserve the Quran, a number of the Holy Prophet’s companions collected the book in one volume.
The significance of Quran in Islam
The Quran holds great significance for believers in Islam. Every believer must be in a state of purity before touching this holy book. Every chapter in the Quran is preceded with the verse, “I take refuge with God from Satan, the accursed one,” followed by, “God Almighty has spoken truly.” Every verse holds great importance and some even curative powers.
Surah Fatiha- The most recited surah of the Quran
The first Surah in the Quran is Surah Fatiha and it holds the title of being the most recited surah. This surah is recited in every single prayer as well as during specific occasions. It comprises of 7 verses.
The five pillars of Islam
The five pillars of Islam comprise the mandatory religious duties of Muslims. These duties are supposed to be a constant reminder to every Muslim about how they should spend their life in the temporary world, so as to attain benefit for the Hereafter. It includes the following:
Shahadah- Declaration that there is no God but Allah and Muhammad PBUH is Allah’s Messenger.
Salat- Performance of the 5 obligatory prayers on a daily basis in the direction of the Holy Kaa’ba in Makkah (Qibla).
Zakat- Donating a compulsory charity to the poor. It is calculated to be 2.5 percent of capital assets.
Sawm- Observing fasting from dawn to dusk in the month of Ramadan
Hajj- Performance of a pilgrimage to Makkah at least once in a lifetime in the 12th lunar month. This is for those who are financially and physically able to do so.
Read in Details about : The Five Pillars of Islam
What is the Sharia?
Sharia is the name given to the Islamic code of conduct and religious law. In today’s time, some countries observe complete Sharia, while others observe only a few aspects. The Sharia is derived from two primary sources: The precepts mentioned in the Quran (Ayats) and examples set forth by the Prophet Muhammad (Sunnah).
There is no place for violence in Islam
Islam is based on the hardcore principle of peace. There was never and will never be any tolerance for those involved in violence in the religion of Muslims. Numerous religious decrees (Fatwas) have been issued regarding the condemnation of terrorism and suicide bombings.
Position of men and women in Islam
Both men and women are considered equal counterparts in the religion of Muslim. Any sort of gender inequalities has nothing to do with Islam, but rather to do with cultural practices.
Respect towards other religions
The universal teachings of Islam portray tolerance and respect towards other religions. No difference is made based on cast, creed, color and religion. Islam also shares many religious figures and events from history with Judaism and Christianity.
Sunni and Shia Muslims
The two major sects or denominations in religion of Muslims are Sunni and Shi’a. About 85% of the world’s Muslims are Sunni, while the other 15% make up Shi’a. The basic difference is that Ali is considered a Caliph by Sunnis while the Shi’a give Ali greater importance by stating that he is also the friend of Allah and the successor of the Holy Prophet. Saudi Arabia is mostly a Sunni country while Iran is majorly Shi’a.
With the facts being mentioned above, it’s hard to deny how perfect the religion of Islam is. Gaining in depth knowledge about Muslims can further help to clear up any misunderstandings regarding Muslims as well as readdress all misconceptions being portrayed.
For booking and more details, please call us at: +1-201-366-1155 or email at: email@example.com
ILinkTours.com Offers Hajj from USA and Also DELUXE HAJJ PACKAGE (NO AZIZIA) in Affordable rates.